Skip to main content

How I Discovered Cozy Murder Mysteries

Moms Book Club 

I recently joined a local moms book club whose members are into murder mysteries. Although I used to deem this genre as too dark for my taste, I've come to see what I've been missing. 

May 2021 Book Club Read The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose

This month's book was "The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose". Briefly, and without giving away too much, it is a whodunnit. The main characters are a husband and wife power couple. The wife is winning at her law career, to which she is highly committed, often at the expense of her marriage. She is also a law firm partner. The husband is a semi struggling yet well known writer. As cliché might have it, the husband becomes disgruntled and justifies an affair with a mysterious beautiful lady who works at a local eatery. This mistress ultimately is the murder victim and the rest of the book is a whodunnit surrounding many possible suspects. As far as cops and overwhelming evidence is concerned, the husband is the prime suspect and his mega talented lawyer wife is his only shot at getting out of this mess alive. This is because the death penalty is on the table. Through a series of intriguing twists and turns, the ending finally really blew my mind. I did not see it coming - and will not ruin it for you just in case you might wanna check it out.

Cozy Murder Mysteries

When I finished reading The Perfect Marriage, I was left on a high and I took my son with me to Barnes and Noble, our happy place to search for similar reads. 


To my absolute pleasure, I discovered an isle full of a sub genre of 'feelgood' murder mysteries, called "Cozy Murder Mysteries." A LOT of them are set in cute pastel settings of chocolate and candy shops, bakeries, eateries, fancy coffee shops and the descriptions of the food is what makes the read so incredibly self-indulgent that the whodunnit seems to be happening in the background. Every once in a while there is an overarching silly family drama to set up a few suspects. It's kinda like playing a game of clue but in a really cool, decadent setting. The fun mental puzzle of it all has literally redefined what "reading for pleasure" means for me now. A few of the cozy murder mysteries on my reading shelf are:

  • Death of a Wedding Cake Baker by Lee Hollis
  • On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle
  • Murder Lo Mein by Vivien Chien
There's nothing better than a good book to keep you occupied on a long international flight. I recently went to Kenya and then traveled locally in the US as well. I will be releasing a video on my adventures soon, so keep a look out!

Tell Me About Your Read

Tell me in the comments below, what books are you reading and in what genre/subgenre are they? I'd love to check out stuff outside my comfort zone because I've discovered how much you can miss out on if you're not open minded about books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to do in Raleigh North Carolina with your family

Raleigh has incredible affordable nature spots, museums for kids, accessible playgrounds, and many more. In this post, I have compiled these local gems so you have them all in one place as you plan your visit.  Having fun in Raleigh with kids Kids can be easy to please without breaking the bank, especially if you're in Raleigh or the general research triangle area. Between beautiful nature spots, children focused museums, seasonal farm activities, playgrounds and many more, your family will be spoiled for choices. Nature Spots in Raleigh The same nature spot can take different looks through the seasons. So whenever you're visiting, here are some nature spots you will not want to miss. The Greenways Address: Varies by greenway trail heads, see trail list here Entry: Free Raleigh boasts over 100 miles of paved greenways that are often frequented by cycling families, runners, and serene walkers. Out of the 28 trails that grace the greenways, they each have their unique character,

Setting up your toddler's Montessori at home environment

The Montessori philosophy emphasizes self-directed play  This is because children are seen as naturally eager to learn and well capable of driving their learning process when in a stimulating environment. This understanding is essential to setting up an effective Montessori at home environment. This philosophy was instituted by Maria Montessori, an Italian physician.  So how did we start creating a Montessori at home environment? We first created a child-friendly environment that encouraged exploration. The beauty of creating a Montessori at home environment for me has been to see my toddler grow independently and amass skills while simply playing his favorite games. I've enjoyed flexibly applying these at home. Here are several tangible ways we did this: 1. We organized the home  I've noticed that my toddler likes things to be orderly even though they will not stay that way once he starts playing. He appreciates knowing where to find his favorite toys, his favorite blanket, a

What has motherhood taught you?

Being a mom is a learning experience Today I reflected on what motherhood has taught me. The list is truly endless but here are the topmost contenders. Live in the moment Motherhood has taught me to experience every moment with wonder and joy. My son exudes infectious joy whenever he sees a duck with her babies in the pond, watches fish swimming in the lake, or even looks at the crashing waves by the sea. The ability to be mesmerized by the present moment my son is experiencing has inspired me to live in the moment when experiencing simple yet profound daily moments. Little kids live in a poetic world where everything is fresh and new. Their pure ability to focus on what's in front of them is truly inspiring in our digital age. Have a growth mindset Being a mom gives me a premium seat to the beautiful growth mindset that young kids naturally have. For them, there is no shame in not knowing, and the learning experience is all fun and games. They readily admit to their inexperience a